This app lets you generate "smart" noise, which means the noise adapts to the sounds around you. The intended usage is blocking distracting noises when you need to concentrate or want to relax or fall asleep. The app will generate the noise with about the same frequency distribution as the ambient sounds, and this will keep you from being distracted by them. In a second usage mode, the adaptation can be optionally switched off, and then the app just generates white noise that you can still filter using the bandpass filter.
These are the functions of the user interface elements:
* Start/Stop: At the top there is a button to turn the noise generation on and off. As an alternative you can use the play/pause button of your headset with remote control.
* Timeout: You may set a timeout of up to 24 hours after which the noise will be gradually faded out over 20 seconds, and eventually turned off completely. A simple tap restarts the timeout.
* Enable adaptation: This lets you choose if you want the noise to remain constant (off) or if it should adapt to the sounds around you (on). The next three settings are only available when adaptation is enabled.
* Setting for noise floor: You can add some additional white noise into the process. This signal is also subjected to the bandpass filter (see below).
* Setting for Attack: On a per-frequency basis, this is the duration that determines the time until the intensity has reached 90% of the maximum if it was previously at 0, when the sounds from the environment remain constant.
* Setting for Decay: On a per-frequency basis, this is the duration that determines the time from the stop of the environmental excitaton until the intensity has decreased to 10% of the output value before the stop.
* Bandpass: This lets you filter the frequency range of the generated noise. Only the frequencies above the first setting and below the second setting will be let through. Make sure to have the first slider lower than the second one, otherwise everything will be filtered out and you won't hear anything.
* Amplification: This setting determines the amplification of the generated noise before it is send to a compressor that limits the volume. When you want the app to react strongly to the environmental sounds, set the system volume to a low setting and and the amplification to a high one. If you want the highest-quality noise and the amplification is not so important, set the amplification to a low setting and the system volume to maximum, so the output is not compressed.
* Frequency chart. The frequency chart shows the frequency distribution inside the range that you set in the bandpass filter. Here you can watch the effects of different attack and decay settings.
Recommended usage scenarios: when you want to use the app for falling asleep it is recommended to use it with your device's built-in speaker if you want to use the non-adaptive mode. If you want to use the adaptive mode instead it's best to use headphones because a headset will pick up more noises from your movements and breath. In this case, place your device on your bedside table. On the other hand, if you want to have the noise generation running in the background while using some other app, it would be best to use it with a headset with remote and mic, so as not to pick up the noises from touching the device.
If you are happy with this program, please tell your friends about it, or write a positive review on the App Store. If you are not, please use the feedback form at the support link to send me a message. I will do what I can to get it working on your device. Customer satisfaction is very important to me.
This app was developed by Florian Student. You may reach me by filling out the linked feedback form.